Kauai Island, Hawaii Workshop
January 5-10, 2019
Class size: 6
If you have always wanted to visit Jurassic Park but not face the chance of being eaten by a dinosaur, then this workshop is for you! I invite you to come join me for an amazing six days of photography on the stunning island of Kauai! Our days will be full of shooting, editing, and exploring. My workshops do not have a set itinerary because we follow the light, clouds, and mold our images to whatever conditions Mother Nature has in store for us. Kauai is one of, if not, the most beautiful places that I have ever visited. Best known for it's role in the movie Jurassic Park, the island is full of lush and vibrant green mountain landscapes, thousands of waterfalls, stunning beaches and lots of wild chickens. Yes, chickens. We will spend each day exploring the island in search of the perfect image, not only by land but by sea and helicopter. This workshop includes a doors off aerial shoot of the Napali Coast as well as a whale watching excursion where we can hopefully photograph breaching humpback whales!
What You Will Learn:
- How to create compelling landscape compositions.
- How to create beautiful aerial landscape images.
- How to use your camera to its fullest capabilities.
- How to utilize a variety of lenses to think “outside the box.”
- An understanding for light and how to take advantage of it in all conditions.
- How to photograph wildlife in a compelling manner.
- The basics of Lightroom and Photoshop.
- How to create motion blur in waterfalls and clouds.
- How to plan for a landscape shoot.
- Why the chicken crossed the road.
What You Will Need:
- A DSLR camera body and an assortment of lenses. A wide angle is highly recommended as well as a zoom lens for wildlife.
- A sturdy tripod.
- An intervalometer (a cheap one off of Amazon will work just fine).
- A headlamp or flashlight.
- A camera strap for each camera you bring.
- At least the trial version of Lightroom or Photoshop on your laptop.
- Multiple batteries.
- A desire to learn, have fun, be flexible, and explore nature!
- Note: a 10 or 6 stop neutral density filter for your wide angle is recommended, as well as a circular polarizer.
What's Not Included:
- Travel to Kauai.
- Taxi to host house.
- Meals & beverages.
- Travel within the workshop.
- Helicopter charter.
- Whale watching tour.
- Accommodations, based upon double occupancy.
- All entrance fees.
- Access to my mind 24/7.
Where are we staying?
Our workshop will base out of two homes, the first being located on the south coast, the second will be located on the north coast. We will spend the first half of our workshop based out of the Poipu area, then we will travel north and stay in Princeville. Using a home instead of a hotel allows us to have a lot more freedom to casually edit, critique images, cook meals, and feel a bit more at home. Rooms are shared between two participants and we turn the common area into our editing and "let's make some amazing images" station.
We will have at least one hike around two miles round trip. Hikes will always be taken at a slow and enjoyable pace. Please know your limitations. If you feel a hike may not be for you, I will gladly give you another shooting location to visit during our outing. There are other opportunities to hike, but I will assess the groups capabilities at the beginning of the workshop before deciding if those hikes are capable of being done.