Big Bend National Park Night Sky Workshop
June 30 - July 2, 2019
Class size: 6
If you’re ready to learn how to photograph our galaxy, the Milky Way, I invite you to come join me for two nights beneath the darkest sky in the lower 48! Big Bend National Park is the darkest sky that one can find without leaving the United States and confirms that the stars at night are indeed big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas! During this workshop we will spend the nights out and about shooting ghost town ruins and beautiful desert landscapes beneath the stars. We will head out after dinner each day to shoot sunset, then patiently wait for the skies to darken and the stars to come out. During the middle of the days, we will work on post processing and critiques. Come out ready to be amazed at the night sky and even more amazed by the images you will create!
What You Will Learn:
- How to create compelling sunset and night sky compositions.
- How to use your camera to its fullest capabilities.
- An understanding for light and how to take advantage of it in all conditions.
- How to create star trails.
- The basics of Lightroom and Photoshop.
- How to successfully light paint.
- How to avoid the Texas summer heat by spending your time out at night!
What You Will Need:
A DSLR camera body with a wide angle lens.
- Note: It is highly recommended to be shooting on a full frame camera that has the capability to shoot high ISO’s. Also, it is highly recommended to have a lens that can shoot a 2.8 or 3.5 aperture.
- A sturdy tripod.
- An intervalometer (a cheap one off of Amazon will work just fine).
- A headlamp or flashlight.
- At least the trial version of Lightroom or Photoshop on your laptop.
- Multiple batteries.
- A desire to learn, have fun, be flexible, and explore nature!
What's Not Included:
- Hotel accommodations.
- Transportation to shooting locations.
- Meals and beverages.
- Park entrance fees.
- My photography knowledge, 24 hours a day during the entire workshop.
- Post production videos that will be sent out after the workshop.
- Lights for light painting.
Where are we staying?
We will be lodging in the town of Terlingua, located just outside Big Bend National Park. The exact location will be sent in the welcome email after registration.
We may have a hike that is one mile each way on level ground until there is a small trail on a hill that is only a few hundred feet to the top.Please know your limitations. If you feel that you may not be suitable for a hike, I will gladly give you an alternate location to shoot while the group heads out.
Getting to Terlingua:
If you are not keen to doing a long drive to Big Bend National Park, the best way to shorten the length of your travels is to fly into Midland / Odessa Airport. From there, you will rent a vehicle and drive 4 hours to our accommodations in Terlingua. This is a paved road all the way, so no need for a 4wd vehicle.
When does the workshop start and wrap?
The workshop will begin with our meet and greet at 4PM on the 30th and wrap at 11am on the 2nd.